Recruitment under Chapter 6 Allocation of Research Staff, as well as Technical and Operational Research Staff
With a view to ensuring open, transparent, and merit- and skill-based recruitment processes for research staff, and in accordance with the principles set out in the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers the University of the Balearic Islands , through the present regulations aligns itself with European Union principles aimed at developing a European labour market for researchers that is appealing, open and viable, and where general conditions enable highly qualified research staff to be hired and retained in environments that foster performance and productivity.
In this sense, the UIB formally committed to the European Commission to adhere to the principles set out in the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers on 19th February 2018. In turn, on 14th November 2019 the UIB sent the necessary documentation to the European Commission to pass the first implementation stage of the Human Resources Strategy for Researchers (HRS4R).
The European Commission, through EURAXESS, granted the UIB the HR Excellence in Research Award on 26th July 2020. A period of two years then commenced for full implementation.
In light of the above, the Governing Council has approved Regulatory Agreement 14540/2022 of 15th June 2022 governing recruitment of research staff under chapter 6 allocation in the university budget, as well as technical or operational research staff.
- REGULATORY AGREEMENT 14540 of 15th June 2022 that approves the regulation governing recruitment of research staff at the university under chapter 6 allocation of the budget, as well as technical and operational research staff (FOU no. 539 of 29th July)
- Science Act
- Workers' Statute
- Royal Decree-Law 32/2021 of 28th December on Urgent Measures for Labour Reform, Employment Stability Guarantee and Labour Market Transformation
- Royal Decree-Law 8/2022 of 5th April that adopts urgent measures in job recruitment for the Spanish Science, Technology and Innovation System
Recruitment proposals are organised into calls throughout the academic year. The deadlines will be published on the OSR website every year for processing proposals, publishing job offers and staff recruitment governed by Regulatory Agreement 14540 of 15th June 2022.
The calendar for the 2022-2023 academic year is as follows:
|Call||Submission deadline for recruitment proposals||Publication of job offers||Start date for research, technical and operational staff|
The UIB recruitment procedure for research staff, as well as technical and operational research staff under research projects, agreements, accords or similar structures with chapter 6 funding from the budget of the University of the Balearic Islands is governed by Regulatory Agreement 14540 of 15th June 2022.
- In order to begin recruitment procedures, the supervisor must fill in the recruitment proposal form available on the Research Staff Portal (PPI)
- The Research Support Office (OSR) website shall publish the deadlines for submitting recruitment proposals for each call
- As a minimum requirement, the recruitment proposal must state the category, duration, working hours, schedule, location of service provision, supervisor, purpose and area of recruitment, the framework activity reference, the salary and other items required for publication on platforms such as EURAXESS
- The recruitment proposal form may be filled out in Catalan, Spanish and English.
N.B.: If the likely applicant does not hold Spanish citizenship, prior procedures must be undertaken with immigration authorities. You are advised to speak sufficiently in advance with Mr Gaspar Pizà, Head of the UIB Payroll and Social Security Service.
Administrative Review of Proposals
- Recruitment proposals shall be subject to administrative review to look at their financial viability and suitability for the proposed funding source
- Recruitment proposal files shall be submitted to the OSR or the service responsible for managing research
- Where the OSR does not have documentation regarding the framework activity that enables the technical and financial viability of the recruitment, it shall request it from the supervisor
- Where applicable, the Language Service—or the service with the corresponding duties—shall translate and edit the recruitment offer text in Catalan and English
- Recruitment proposals that pass administrative review shall be notified to the corresponding administrative services, who shall reserve an allocation of funds.
Employment contracts signed within the scope of Regulatory Agreement 14540 of 15th June 2022 are always linked to the performance period of the tasks subject to the contract or the performance period for the framework activity or the corresponding funding source.
Notification of the Conclusion of the Contract or Framework Activity Performance Period
- The OSR shall notify the recruited staff and supervisors regarding the termination of the current contract or the conclusion date for the tasks subject to the contract at least 30 working days in advance. The conclusion notification will include an initial indication as to whether the contract will be definitively terminated or extended:
- If the supervisor states that the contract must be definitively terminated, the service will perform the corresponding procedures
- In the event that the supervisor states her/his intention to extend the contract term, this indication shall not mean that the corresponding accounting procedures are automatically carried out: they must be done in line with the PPI proposal procedure
- Where the recruitment supervisor has not made any indication by the contract termination date or the conclusion date for the tasks subject to the contract, the contract termination procedure shall be started and, consequently, the employment relationship shall be terminated.
- Extension applications for recruitment proposals prior to Regulatory Agreement 14540/2022 of 15th June 2022 must be done via the form available here
- Extension applications for contracts under Regulatory Agreement 14540/2022 of 15th June 2022, where applicable, must be submitted by the recruitment supervisors through the procedure enabled for this purpose on the Research Staff Portal
- The maximum deadline for submitting extension applications is fifteen working days before the conclusion date of the performance period for the tasks subject to the current contract.
- In the event of early termination of the employment contract, and as long as it has been indicated in the selection process, the next alternate on the list of candidates in order of ranking may take over the position without a new recruitment procedure or new publicity for the job offer having to be undertaken. Alternates may be hired no later than one year from the initial start date of the position and where there are six or more months left to run until the date set out in article 12 of this regulation. The alternate shall be hired in the same conditions and for the time remaining of the performance period for the tasks subject to the contract, or for the performance period of the framework activity or corresponding funding source, in accordance with the call
- Where at the end of the fixed-term contract—due to expiry of the agreed term—the statutory redundancy payment is due, it should preferably be linked to the project, agreement, accord or similar. With regard to permanent contracts, the necessary mechanisms shall be established to be in accordance with current labour law.
Foreign individuals interested in being candidates for recruitment must apply by filling in the relevant general application form, where they authorise a duly authorised civil servant at the University of the Balearic Islands to register and submit all the documentation requested in the Call for applications. This authorisation is granted in accordance with the provisions of the ‘RESOLUTION of the Office of the Secretary General of 19th May 2022 whereby the consolidated version of the instruction on registration and registration support points is made public’, and subsequent amendments thereof. Applicants should send the application form and documents required in the job offer to the Email address: email@example.com.
If you would like to know which contracts are currently available, please see the current open calls.
The required documentation to be submitted by interested parties in order to draw up their contract is as follows:
- Information about Chapter VI
- Personal information and bank details (important: bank details for a Spanish bank and an address in Spain for the interested party must be provided in the document)
- Employment incompatibility statement. Appendix 1
- Compatibility application, where applicable
- Withdrawal form
- Photocopies of the following documents:
- NAF Social Security Contribution Number
- Current Account
Only for non-Spanish nationals:
- Declaration of residence in Spain
- NIE ID no. application form
- Health insurance application
- Salary advance request